Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 2: Refreshing

My word of the day was refreshing.  Through all of the devastation there is an amazing beauty in this place.  I found myself lost in each moment I had with someone.  In each smile, in each touch, and in each embrace I saw the Haitians as Jesus does.  They are beautiful in so many ways.  The children have carefree, playful spirits and are full of joy.  The beauty in their eyes alone speak so much without any words.  As I shared with my team last night, my love language is physical touch, and my needs were definitely met today.  I love this place, I'm sure I'll say it many more times.

We made three stops in Cite Soleil today and delivered water to the poorest slums in the Western Hemisphere.  I felt so at home at each of the stops as everyone was so friendly and welcoming.  On the way to our first stop I was able to ride on the outside of the water truck.  So fun!  As we drove to Cite Soleil, all the kids shout, "Hey You! Hey You!" waiting for us to reply, "Hey You!  Hey You!"  Smiles light up their faces at such a simple recognition.  I had a friend follow me around at the first stop.  She was so sweet and at the end of our stop I gave her my cross necklace. 

The second stop was 19 and the children were a bit more aggressive vying for attention.  They LOVED my long hair and wanted to cut it off to keep :)  I fell in love with a sweet little girl who was my shadow throughout the stop.  She "helped" me carry the buckets back to the homes and it made me think of my boys back home and how they love to feel like they are helping, even in the smallest ways.  I was able to meet her parents who seemed so proud to say she belongs to them.

By the third stop at 21 we were all a bit tired, and as I write this my arms are feeling it today, but those water buckets are HEAVY!  And let me tell you, these women and children who are hauling the water back to their homes walk fast and make it seem effortless.  There were a couple times where we'd follow them back into the small pathways between their homes and they'd get so far ahead they would have to come back for us.  I met two teenage girls, Rozina and Fabian.  They are sisters and they loved looking at my hands and nails and dancing with me.  I took one by surprise as I twirled her around a couple times.  They laughed and laughed.  As we hopped on the truck to head home for the day, I heard my name shouted, "Alicia, Alicia!"  It was Rozina and Fabian wanting one more smile, one more acknowledgement of the connection we made.  What a blessing they were to me!

So much more I could tell you, but I have to save some stories for when I get home :)  I will tell you, the water truck boys that help are such a joy.  Such characters!  Pate gave us all a show while riding to one of the stops when he busted out, "Baby, Baby, Baby Oh!" by Justin Bieber.  It was fantastic!

Today we are headed to the Home for the Sick and Dying Children.  Our team is unified and I feel like I am surrounded by family.  Jesus is here.  He is here in a very real way.

Ke Bondye Beni'ou
(God Bless You)
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment