Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 1: Anticipation

I'm in Haiti!  Each day at our evening group time we each share our word for the day....Today I chose the word anticipation.  I chose this word because I feel as though the entire process of traveling today I had a feeling of anticipation.  Anticipation of what our travels would entail.  Then as everything went smoothly, anticipation of how we were going to manage through the Port Au Prince airport.  What an experience!  Dad, I thought St. Maarten's airport was hectic, this takes the prize for sure.  Such a small space with so many people trying to find their luggage.  We got everything minus one of the checked luggage bags with donations.  We're hoping it shows up at the airport :)  We were warned about what it would be like when leaving the airport, and I thought we were all-stars when passing through single file with our carts with all the luggage on them saying firmly to the many men trying to "help" with our luggage "No Merci."  (No Thanks).  They want to take your luggage for you so they can make some money, but it is quite crazy and easier to do it on our own.  Also, they would charge us ridiculously more than they would charge a fellow Haitian.  We then got our first experience on the Haitian roads....I love it!  Bumpity, bump, bump, more than I've ever experienced in my life. "You just have to give with the bumps" my leader Rachel said.  As we drove to our guest house I was able to get a glimpse of what is yet to come this week.  Children chasing after the truck yelling, "Hey You!" and laughing.  The tent houses, people saying "Bonswa" sitting along side the road, pigs, dogs, roosters and goats milling about on the roads.  I am anticipating all that God is going to do in and through my team this week.  Our team all gathered in the family room and made cross necklaces to hand out to some of the children we connect with while we're out delivering water tomorrow.  It was really relaxing and a lot of fun!  After our necklaces were done we had an amazing spaghetti dinner and even got ice cream for dessert!!!  My favorite part of the day, however was the time of worship we had together, singing praises out to God.  We are blessed to have a member on our team who is a musician and I am especially excited since music is a way that I connect with God in a real and intimate way.  We were free to sing and we even learned a chorus of one of the songs in Creole.  I'll share that with you when I get better at the song and a little clearer on exactly how it is written.

I just finished up with my first Haitian shower, and am getting ready for bed.  I have much anticipation for tomorrow.  We're going to be delivering water in Cite Soleil.  My prayer is for my heart to be open to what God has for me tomorrow.

Loving this already :)

No comments:

Post a Comment