Monday, June 13, 2011

Reassurance

I was anxious to attend my first meeting to meet the people I'd be traveling with this summer.  I didn't know what to expect, but was excited to be there.  We received a three-ring binder upon arrival and went through all of the information included.  Wow!  What a well-organized, well-planned, helpful binder full of information!  I'm going to admit I was a bit overwhelmed with it at first, but the part I was most overwhelmed about was the fact that we had to have $725 for the following meeting.  Those of you who know me, I am a planner, and I was feeling overwhelmed with the idea of that amount needing to be raised in one month...

I feel a bit embarrassed, but I was just like the disciples in Matthew 8 when they are on the boat and Jesus is sleeping..."Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, 'Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!' He replied, 'You of little faith, why are you so afraid?' Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm" (Matthew 8:24-26)  The disciples were amazed and wondered who this man was who could calm the seas with just his voice.

I sent out my support letters the Monday after my first meeting, and, by Thursday I had EXACTLY $725 support raised.  I opened up the returned response envelopes and dropped to my knees in awe and amazement of the graciousness of family and friends.  I cried tears of joy, excitement, and thankfulness to God for being so faithful.  How silly of me to think this was going to happen on MY accord.  God has opened my eyes to see that I am truly called to go on this trip, and that He will take care of me all the way through.  I will not worry, or have anxiety on how things will turn out because I know God will look over me and my group.  We are all called to go on this trip to help the poorest of the poor in any way possible. 

In the month since this experience I have been extremely blessed to be growing closer to the Lord in my daily walk with Him.  In Jeremiah 29:11 it says, "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  God is in control and I am willing to give all of myself on this journey to what He has planned.  I surrender all, Lord, may your will be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment