Thursday, August 15, 2013

Teamwork

What a fantastic day! We made three water stops to 19, 26 and . There was a lot of desperation for water today, which meant a bit of a hectic bucket line. Our team worked together SO well and we were proud of the work we did. Throughout the day there were so many moments I wish I was able to capture on video to remember always, one in particular I'll share.

At the third stop of the day we really got into a rhythm and we were singing songs while filling buckets and were having a lot of fun. The people at this stop were working with us to get their buckets filled not against us like it sometimes felt at the previous stops and it was great. Towards the end of the tank, while I was on the bucket line, I looked across from me and between my teammate, Deb's legs were five or six little naked boys rolling, splashing, giggling and squeeling in water that had missed getting in the buckets. The look on their faces were of pure joy and we got to see them play and be kids with no care in the world for that short time. It was awesome!

After our water stops we came home and four of our teammates decided to go to the wound clinic to help and four of us decided to go play soccer with the neighborhood boys. This meant I got to see Dickenson, so I was in! Dickenson had gotten up early and joined us for church, so when he was falling asleep on me on the drive I asked him if he was tired from waking up early. He was, but he found enough energy to score two goals during our game, and with the help of his brother, Davidson, we won! After Dickenson scored he would make this high pitched holler of elation and run around with his arms raised high in celebration and a huge smile on his face. I loved being able to celebrate with him. On our way back home he told me the first goal he scored was for me. It was an awesome header and that was so sweet. Later on the ride he told me my boys can call him brother Dickenson, and that he loves me like a mother. My heart melted instantly. He had told me earlier that day that his parents both died in the earthquake, so for him to say he loves me like mother hit me hard. I will get to see him again this week, but I wish I could spend more time with this amazing boy. He is already sad about me leaving on Monday, and asks when I will be back. That is the hardest question to answer, because I know I will be back, but I don't know when.

Today we are taking the Grace Village kids to te ocean! It will be a brand knew experience for everyone on our team and I'm excited!

Ke Bondje Beni'ou
(May God Bless You)

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment