Saturday, August 2, 2014

All In

Our morning started out with a bit of a surprise....We were told at breakfast that we weren't able to do our water delivery day because of the unrest in Citie Soleil last night.  Jean said it isn't safe today, so we had to figure out a new plan.  We decided to go to General Hospital, downtown Port Au Prince to start the day, and then head up the mountain to do some shopping for gifts.

God really knew what he was doing today with the switch up...It just so happened that we had the perfect amount of donations left over for care packages to hand out at General Hospital, and that it worked out to be exactly what we needed!  Yay God, right?  As we reflected on our day this evening, we couldn't believe how amazing it was to watch God's plan unfold right before our eyes.  We have had quite a bit of rain while we have been here, which means the people living in Citie Soleil have had their need for water met by the rain, so God gently guided us to serve at General Hospital.

When we first arrived, we all handed out all of the care packages and water we had purchased along the way to all of the patients and their parents.  Then it was time to love on the patients.  I started out playing with this bubbly little boy, no older than 7 months.  I couldn't tell what he was sick with, other than a little cough and the fact that he was pretty thin.  Travis and I were near each other when he mentioned there was a little one in a crib in the corner that was crying.  I handed my little buddy over to Travis to care for and headed in the direction of the cries.  What I saw was saddening.  This little guy was extremely rigid and seemed like he was stuck in his position.  He was having an extremely difficult time breathing and was coughing and wheezing while he tried to suck in short breath.  A team member who is a nurse, Cathy, came over and we discussed how it might be best to get him upright so it would open up his airways and hopefully help him with his breathing.  We were extremely careful while we worked together to get him in my arms so I could help hold him upright.  We seemed to have immediate relief, and stopped crying pretty quickly.  I sat down with him and sang to him for quite awhile and was able to watch his body slowly relax.  He would have an episode of rigidity here and there for about a half hour.  My arms were burning from holding him in the position that helped him breathe easier, but I decided very early on that I was going to do everything I could to comfort him while I was at General Hospital.  This little one needed me.  I was all in, which was also my words for the day, as I was determined to help him relax and feel safe in my arms.  His mom was so thankful that I took the time to hold her son.  She needed to take him from me for her to bring him over to the doctor when it was her turn just before I was able to get him to sleep.  When she returned from visiting with the doctor, she handed him back to me and I went right back to work trying to help her son relax enough to be able to sleep.  Praise God I was able to get him to sleep, and stay asleep after transitioning him to his crib.  The joy that overflowed seeing him sleeping peacefully and relaxed with zero rigidity when we were leaving was indescribable.  I felt useful today, like I was able to be Jesus to this precious little child.  I get emotional just remembering my time at General Hospital as it was an experience I'll never forget.

Looking forward to spending the day at Wahoo Beach tomorrow with the team and Davidson and Dickenson.  It will be a great way for our team to relax before heading home Monday.

Bondje Beni'ou,

Alicia


1 comment:

  1. Loved reading about your week, you are so great at being Jesus to everyone you meet. Such a great example to your boys and those who surround you.

    ReplyDelete